“I love hiking!” I told Riva when she asked if I’d come with her to hike McAfee’s Knob and do her make-up for her bridal portraits. I don’t know if I told her that I’d never actually BEEN hiking before. But I definitely loved the idea! So, up the mountain we went. And went. For hours. Don’t forget, we have a wedding dress, a bride in curlers, dinner in a bag, a photographer, his assistant, the make-up artist [me], and mom and dad toting other essentials. We were worthy of our own pictures! When we arrived at the top, the view was breathtaking [picture pride rock]. Riva, behind a sheet, put on her mother’s gown, got her make-up touched up, took the curlers from her hair, and began to be photographed. I wish I had an image to show you. I guess I wanted to illustrate this simple little fact about today’s bridal portraits:
They are not what they used to be.
what are they?
You might be thinking… “uh.. a portrait of the bride.” And you’d be RIGHT! And wrong…let me explain, list-style. Bridal portraits are:
- FUN! What girl doesn’t want to get all dressed up with your hair, shoes, make-up, jewelry, and DRESS?
- A bride-designed photo shoot: the perfect opportunity to let your personality show!
- Time! Just having a few hours to focus on YOU makes this experience more creative and enjoyable.
- A GREAT way to make use of the hair and make-up run-through… you look FABULOUS… take advantage!
- An opportunity for the bride to photographer and the bride to bond and talk wedding and girl stuff.
why do them?
- For you: again, it is so fun–you’re getting married! Treat yourself to a photo shoot!
- For your wedding: display it at your wedding in a fancy frame. People will love it.
- For mom: she wants to show her friends just how beautiful her daughter is. And she wants to hang it on the mantel.
- For your children: my favorite photographs as a little girl were my mom in a wedding dress.
Bridal Portraits are my absolute favorite part about being a wedding photographer. Something about girls in white dresses…