Hey y’all! I told you yesterday that I’d be posting some portraits, but an opportunity arose and I have to postpone it for a little “PLEASE PICK ME. BEAR MY HEART AND SOUL. DESPERATE ATTEMPT” type post. SO here it goes.
A couple nights ago, I went to a dinner for alumni of Intervarsity living in Richmond. To my left was a Katelyn James bride, Rachel. To my right was a girl who, when I said she looked familiar, said that I probably recognized her from Katelyn’s blog because she was a bridesmaid in a Katelyn James wedding. We spent several minutes talking with a woman across the table who could only gush over Katelyn’s work. “Just beautiful!”
This is a wedding photographer they’re raving about! Do you know how many wedding photographers there are out there? What is it that makes people follow her blog? Obsess over all of the things she loves? What makes people demand KATELYN and not just…a wedding photographer?
I had just graduated from photography school [<-- more about my story there] when I started my business in 2010 with the goal of becoming a wedding photographer. The world of wedding photography seemed small and simple. I had the technical knowledge. I could work my camera better than most. I felt like the rest would come easy. I’m good with people. I’m nice. But I soon realized that there was something missing. Something that you don’t learn by studying light ratios. A fashion photographer told us in class, “Photography is only 5% technical. You may as well learn that much!” And so I did! But what about the other 95%?
I believe that is exactly the point of Katelyn James’s “The Workshop Experience.” The truth is that the 95% isn’t learned on your own. Whether it was a workshop, an internship, or a second shooting opportunity, what we know comes to us from generous people of excellence. From what I know, The Workshop Experience is about just that. The kindness of a wedding photographer who is paying it forward for the benefit of not only the photographers, but their clients as well. And I would love to attend this little guy!
I know I’m not alone here, but this winter I kind of had a little break down. I thought, “I don’t want to do this anymore.” This is a low that comes every so often. For a few weeks I just felt down about my business. I knew I was in for a period of growth because that is what usually happens when I start feeling like this. Plateaus are normal, but can be dangerous. While talking with a good friend Rebekah [yet another Katelyn bride...], I explained how I was just frustrated by not being able to figure out how to give my clients a knock out experience. I spend so much time on Pinterest, reading photography blogs, listening to interviews and workshops… How can I make the experience top notch for my clients? Between the research and learning, I need something hands on and I want to be able to ask questions and talk out my ideas with other people in the industry.
Just the fact that Katelyn is offering a FREE spot is amazing. It’s crazy how many people have already entered to win it! It’s gonna be good, this Workshop Experience. What is even better is how much money will be saved. However, in response to Katelyn’s generosity:
If chosen [and I want to be so badly!],
I promise to all of you that I will use that money and what I learn at the workshop
toward improving my client experience.
SO there you have it! Katelyn, you’re a dear. Good luck with all of these entries! Can’t wait to see the results, 13-fold, from you and all of the attendees!